I just submitted my first portion of the freelance assignment, though there’s still plenty to do. I’m writing some “quickstart guides” for a well-known developer brand. This one let me build my first WebSockets server with Python. Next, I’ll set up a REST API in PHP with Laravel.
Meanwhile, the application-to-rejection pipeline is moving along steadily. I got three applications rejected today. I posted on LinkedIn about how the process is emotionally draining. It got 90 reactions and over 6,000 views.
Two Hiring Manager screens are coming up this week, which is nice. One was via an application on LinkedIn. The other is from a headhunter call I had a couple of weeks ago. There’s another headhunter call I wouldn’t mind seeing bear fruit because the product interests me. And the cool thing is that the freelance gig going on right now would set me up to create some neat content for them. They have been ghostly quiet, so it may be their loss.
Update on the full loop from weeks ago
I only did one full(ish) loop last month. The last interview was on the 16th. The VP on the final call told me they had a big event in 8 days, but he was trying to get the other person interviewed by then and have the recruiter shepherding the process get back to me by the 24th about whether I’d move on to a final round.
On the 27th (eight days ago), I contacted the recruiter to check in. He said the big event ate up more time than they expected, but they’d have news for me later in the week.
I’m still waiting.
I finished my last scheduled interview 19 days ago, and they have not proactively reached out with news as to whether they’re moving me forward or cutting me loose.
I haven’t entirely given up hope, but my hope level is around 6%.
The last time I recall something like this, I thought I’d done well in the loop, but they were doing gymnastics trying to get another candidate scheduled. Nearly four weeks later, they got this person interviewed… and selected. The other candidate may have truly been the best choice, or because I’d been interviewed so far back, the impression I made was now cold meatloaf while the impression the other person made was hot and fresh from the kitchen.
I’ve always wondered if I should play harder to get when scheduling interviews just to try to be last and have the freshest good impression.
I’ve also wondered if I should proactively withdraw if any employer makes me wait three weeks or more; have some pride and decide this wait length is unacceptable. Honestly, though, there’s no other offer on the table yet, and I’m still taking meetings. The only thing that gets hurt if I wait patiently is my pride. That is, however, emotionally draining.